It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

scm cli: lots of exceptions after changing Xmx in scm.ini

Lin Ye (30632611) | asked Jun 02 '10, 10:14 a.m.
Hi,

When I used scm cli to commit changes to a workspace, I got java/lang/OutOfMemoryError. So I changed Xmx to 1024m in scm.ini. The directory to be checked in is around 25G.

Then when I tried to check in again, I got a bunch of exceptions on console

Any suggestions what happened? Thanks

Lin

6 answers

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Jun 02 '10, 11:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Your sandbox was corrupted by the exception. Run 'scm repair'.

e

permanent link
Lin Ye (30632611) | answered Jun 07 '10, 4:27 p.m.
Hi thanks for your reply.

I got out of memory error again when running scm repair
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2010-06-07 15:44:15.957
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core.internal.SubcommandLauncher.run(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core.internal.Application.start(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:79)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:618)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
at com.ibm.team.internal.repository.rcp.streams.UnsynchronizedBufferedInputStream.<init>(UnsynchronizedBufferedInputStream.java:36)
at com.ibm.team.internal.repository.rcp.streams.UnsynchronizedBufferedInputStream.<init>(UnsynchronizedBufferedInputStream.java:28)
at com.ibm.team.internal.repository.rcp.dbhm.DiskBackedHashMap.readObject(DiskBackedHashMap.java:382)
at com.ibm.team.internal.repository.rcp.dbhm.DiskBackedHashMap$Entry.getValue(DiskBackedHashMap.java:938)
at com.ibm.team.internal.repository.rcp.dbhm.CachedDiskBackedHashMap$CachedEntry.getValue(CachedDiskBackedHashMap.java:292)
at com.ibm.team.internal.repository.rcp.dbhm.DiskBackedHashMap.get(DiskBackedHashMap.java:160)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.SharingMetadata2.getFileItemInfo(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.MetadataChangeTracker.getInverseInfo(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.MetadataChangeTracker.getLocalChanges(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.localchanges.LocalChangeTracker.refreshPendingChanges(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.localchanges.LocalChangeTracker.access$0(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.localchanges.LocalChangeTracker$LocalChangesComputer.runRecompute(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.localchanges.LocalChangeTracker$LocalChangesComputer.rejoin(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.localchanges.LocalChangeTracker.syncChanges(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.localchanges.LocalChangeManager.refreshSynchronously(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.localchanges.LocalChangeManager.doRefresh(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.localchanges.LocalChangeManager.refreshChanges(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.SynchronizeOperation.refreshChanges(SynchronizeOperation.java:529)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.SynchronizeOperation.synchronize(SynchronizeOperation.java:492)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.RebuildCFAOperation.rebuildCFA(RebuildCFAOperation.java:485)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client.internal.subcommands.RepairCmd.run(RepairCmd.java:96)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core.internal.SubcommandLauncher.run(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core.internal.SubcommandLauncher.doStart(Unknown Source)
... 14 more

I increased xmx to 2048m in scm.ini, but then I got the following error:
JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc23(2): Failed to instantiate heap; 2G requested

It worked when xmx was set to 1024m. Anybody knows what's wrong here? Thanks.

Your sandbox was corrupted by the exception. Run 'scm repair'.

e

permanent link
Lin Ye (30632611) | answered Jun 07 '10, 4:50 p.m.
I am not sure whether this relates to the memory usage of my machine.

Here is the current info of my machine on XP

Total Physical Memory: 4096MB
Available Physical Memory: 1.74GB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96GB
Page File Space: 5.34GB

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Jun 07 '10, 5:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It looks like your sandbox is corrupt to the point where it can't be repaired. Delete it and reload.

e

permanent link
Lin Ye (30632611) | answered Jun 18 '10, 1:51 p.m.
Thank you very much for all the reply.

Found the reason of instantiation of heap error: jdk1.5 allows around 1.45GB heap size max.

But xmx 1024m gives me out of memory error when checking in from command line. Is it possible to run "scm checkin" to check in 25G files?

Thanks.

Lin

JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc23(2): Failed to instantiate heap; 2G requested

permanent link
Sudharsan Gopal (9697) | answered Jun 21 '10, 12:51 p.m.
I understand that you are putting the code into the RTC repository for the first time.

You might want to split the 25G into multiple smaller chunks and try scm checkin.

Else, you might want to try the following approach that we tried and tested. Our codebase was of 3 Gig. We used the RTC-eclipse client to achieve the checkin.

1) Create an eclipse project and import the elements(that need to be checked in) into this project

2) Load this eclipse project into a workspace repository

3) You can view the imported elements in the "Pending Changes" viewlet.

4) Check in all

5) Deliver all

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for all the reply.

Found the reason of instantiation of heap error: jdk1.5 allows around 1.45GB heap size max.

But xmx 1024m gives me out of memory error when checking in from command line. Is it possible to run "scm checkin" to check in 25G files?

Thanks.

Lin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.